Thursday, June 29, 2006

Can I Trade This Body In?

Anyone know where I can trade this body in for a newer, healthier model?

I'm struggling with yet another kidney stone. I've lost count of how many I've had, as I've been a certified stone factory since I was 16 - for those counting, that was 15 years ago. I've had lithotripsy more times than I can count, also...three times the first year alone, and multiple times back in 2001 when I had 10 stones in both kidneys. The most recent shock treatment was in 2004 and the procedure had been improved enough to allow them to get all stones in just one session. I think there were 7 stones total at that time.

Sometimes I pass them, which I think will happen with this one, but its one heckuva painful matter of time. I should have known this was probably going to happen since I had a UTI last week, but I get those often enough too that it didn't send up any red flags.

Anyway, two days and counting. I'm praying its gone by the weekend. I stayed home from work yesterday but was so doped up on pain meds that I didn't get to knit as much as I'd like to. I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that the meds, and not my newbie knitter status, were responsible for having to frog the bedjacket I've started not once, but three times yesterday. For whatever reason, I just can't keep count with what row I'm on, and that's with a row counter. The stitches are all the same, so I should be able to just count rows, but I haven't quite figured that out yet. I was successful enough to get to the fun part of the pattern and actually do more than knit and purl - had some yo's and some ssk's, a few k2tog's thrown in there - and while the one row I completed was fun, I had to frog it because I didn't read the part in the instructions that told me to knit the first stitch for selvedge edge.

Oh well, I'm learning, right?

No comments: