Tuesday, October 24, 2006

When will it end?

This week hasn't started out so great. I had my annual review at work and was extremely disappointed, mostly in myself. I can't say that I agreed with everything, but the things I did agree with didn't make me very happy about myself. Not a great way to start the week, and I'm already wishing it was over.

On the knitting front, I did start Viveka, and it seems to be turning out OK. I was a little worried once I cast on because I couldn't quite get gauge exactly (using Caron Simply Soft Tweed in Dark Sage), and while I was close, no matter how many needle sizes I went, it wasn't exact. I was just about to call it a day and decide to use the yarn for something else when I figured what the heck, I'll just knit a few inches and see what happens. So far so good. Big relief, 'cause though I'd like to buy more yarn - hey who wouldn't? - its probably not a very good idea right now.

I did take advantage of the big yarn sale at Michael's and purchased some Lion Brand Jiffy to make the cover sweater of the recent Knit Simple. I'd just about talked myself out of it when I picked up a Leisure Arts book by Melissa Leapman and she'd used several inexpensive acrylic yarns - and the finished product looked great. I'm by no means a yarn snob, but I've gotten to the point where I'm afraid to spend so much time on something using less expensive yarn, only to have it wear out quickly, or something along those lines. Finally I decided that a company probably wouldn't be in business for over 100 years if their product wasn't fairly decent, and the reviews I've read of the yarns haven't been bad, either. So I'll just keep trucking along on my next-to-nothing yarn budget and hope for the best.

I also purchased some Red Heart Soft in Paprika - for a yet-to-be-determined project. Love the color!

No comments: